Cleaning Your Home or Office Air Duct System
When air duct cleaning is performed by experienced professionals, it’s been shown to remove mold and other contaminants from your home or office ventilation system, and make the indoor environment healthier.
Like many aspects of mold remediation, air duct cleaning is something that should be handled by experienced professionals that understand how to remove contaminants without releasing them into the home or building.
A professional mold remediation company will have the equipment, experience, and the knowledge to get the job done the right way the first time, so that there are no further issues down the road. This is why DIY air duct cleaning or mold remediation could be detrimental to your health and cause further spread of contaminants.
How to Know if Your HVAC Ductwork Needs Cleaning
Mold in the ductwork can be problematic because the spores may be blown into the open air in any room that your HVAC system reaches. There are some easy checks you can perform to determine the likelihood of this taking place in your home.
- Examine the Registers – The vents in various rooms around your house, as well as the air return grill can tell the story of your HVAC system. If you see dark particles pooling around the surfaces, it could be either dust or mold. But it may help your peace of mind to have professionals check it.
- Remove the Covers – In some cases this could require a screwdriver. You can take the grill covers off and if you see dust or debris collecting, chances are there could be more than meets the eye. Mold can latch onto those debris piles and enjoy a fertile ground for growth.
- Do a Smell Test – Mold has a distinct smell to it. If there is a musty odor coming from the vents, it may be time to try a mold detection kit from the hardware store, or to involve a professional.
Conditions that May Lead to Mold
If the conditions below have occurred within your home or office, the Environmental Protection Agency says it’s time to have your air ducts cleaned.
- There is visible mold on the sheet metal surfaces of the vents, ductwork, or other components of the ventilation system.
- If you’ve seen rodents or insects living in the ductwork.
- If you’ve spotted significant amounts of dust or debris released into the home through the ductwork.
The Health Symptoms of Mold Exposure
Mold exposure can lead to several health symptoms of varying severity, which is why it’s important to address the problem right away. If you or any of your family members experience these health conditions on a regular or chronic basis, it might be time to have your air ducts cleaned to remove the threat from your home:
- Itchy eyes and skin
- Sore throat
- Autoimmune issues like joint pain
Cleaning your air ducts remains an integral part of controlling your indoor air quality and can drastically reduce these symptoms when the ducts contain mold in them.
Hiring a Professional to Clean Air Ducts
Hiring a professional to clean your air ducts is a critical step to take if you or a member of your family are experiencing any chronic health issues, or if you notice any potential evidence of mold in the HVAC system. If you have any questions, or a project that you would like to discuss, contact We Restoration today!